Race workers are an essential part of our student-athletes' success on the hill. As a part of the Mt. Mansfield Academy, it is suggested that families work races totaling 4 credits.
Each season we host a variety of races, from FIS to the Stowe Derby and Sugar Slalom. We need your help to ensure we continue to have safe, efficient, and fun races every year.Job Descriptions
2023-2024 Race Schedule:
- Registration - Arrive early to help sort out registration materials. Assists with checking in athletes and coaches, providing bibs and tickets. Registration jobs earn 1/2 day credit.
- Hand Timer - Arrive before event to be on hill on-time. You can find a stopwatch and clipboard in the MMA lunchroom. Hand timers may work alone or in pairs depending on the race. The stopwatch is used to mark the Time of Day (ToD) that each racer leaves the start, and again as they cross the finish. All forms will be delivered to the Chief of Timing immediately after each run.
- Bib Collection & Sorting - Stand at the finish and collect bibs from racers after they complete their second run. Please return bibs to Clubhouse, sort into piles 1-10, 11-20, etc., let us know of any missing bibs. Bib collection jobs earn 1/2 day credit.
- Gate Judge - You'll be stationed along the racecourse and assigned a section of gates. Watch your section carefully, record any faults on your card, and include a diagram of the fault. Return cards to Head Gate Judge at the end of each run.
- Starter - Responsible for the warning signal, start command, and accuracy of intervals between starts.
- Assistant Starter - Call racers to the start in the correct order. Help to keep the start area organized, inform starter of any missing racers.
- Start Referee - Requires USSA AO (CR, JA, RF, or TD) certification. Must be in position from the beginning of the inspection time until the end of the event. Must be in communication with Jury at all times: make sure the start organization is properly observed, determine false/late starts, reports names of competitors who did not start to the Referee, ensure reserve bibs are available at the start.
- Finish Referee - Requires USSA AO (CR, JA, RF, or TD) certification. Must be in position from the beginning of the inspection time until the end of the event. Make sure the finish area is run properly, supervise finish controller, timing, and crowd control. Must be in communication with Jury: reports names of competitors who did not finish to the Referee.
See an open role you'd like to claim? Email Devon Laidman at firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your spot.